The Denver Broncos recently have been one of the best defensive teams in the NFL for years now. They are built off there aggressive pass rush and their stingy secondary. Even the last two SuperBowl games they played in. Superbowl 48 they were ranked 3rd and Superbowl 50 they were ranked 4th in total defense. They have one of those defenses that kinda play the same type of aggressive style regardless of who is coaching the team. When John Fox was coaching the team they were aggressive and I can also say the same when they had Gary Kubiak and Vance Joseph as well. They play the same type of fast ball defense. John Elway has not been afraid to go after the big time free agents every year, Aqib Talib, Tj Ward and Peyton Manning just to name a few. This year though, he did something that many of us have not really seen from him since he been in office and thats have a really good draft from top to bottom. Now obviously these players have to go out and still perform but you can not help to like what John did if you’re a Denver Bronco fan or a football fan in general. They added depth to their Wide Receiver position by adding one of the most underrated prospects to come out in DaSean Hamilton and they added size in Courtland Sutton. They also added Royce Freeman that I think could most definitely see some playing time seeing how thin they kind of our at their Running Back position and obviously they added to their defense in getting the top pass rusher coming out in Bradley Chubb and got good value with their linebacker Joey Jewell and the cornerback Isaac Yiadom. Their is a few things this team needs to improve on if they plan on making some real noise this fall.
- Better Quarterback play – It is imperative that the Denver Broncos make sure that they have the right QB in place. You would not want to continue to waste good years that their defense been having. Teams and units don’t last for ever. You look at the Legion Of Boom. They our no more and its sad because that team should have been a dynasty with the LOB leading the way. The Broncos do have Case Keenum and he is coming off his best year. I do believe he is better then what they have had recently, but I do not believe he is the future. I think more of a stop gap for now. Look for this Bronco team to still be recognize for their defense. Well see how Case plays. He could prove me wrong. He does have a really good Offensive Coordinator in Bill Musgrave. Speaking of coaches.
- Better Coaching -Unfortunately for Vance Joseph if he does not coach better he is almost certainly going to be fired because he was very near to losing his job this past offseason. John Elway seemed to already have lost patience and confidence for the young coach and it it also looked like the team as a whole lost a good amount of confidence during the season last year as the Denver Broncos seemed to have gave up during certain games. So if he does not get his team going as a whole and make sure Bill (his OC) has the right pieces for his offense then he will be fired and if that happen I would not count out Bill Musgrave being a strong candidate for the Head Coaching position. I previously said in my opening paragraph that this defense is build for any coach because of the players that is on it but the window is closing and Vance has to put all of it together to show why he is the man for the job.
- Take aways – As good as the total defense was last year. Their take away stats is nothing to get excited over. They had a measly 10 Interceptions and only 7 force fumbles. That has to go up. For a defense to be complete and to be really great, is you want to be able to get the ball back to your offense as much as you can. Especially if the offense happens to struggle.
- Offensive Line – The Broncos have been trying to add to their line through their draft and through free agency and its been decent. Yea they have been able to run the ball pretty well, but they gave up a lot of sacks last year. It did not matter what QB was playing. The Broncos as a whole let their QB get hit a little bit too often. They were ranked 3rd which ties with the Arizona Cardinals. Anytime you allow your QB to get sacked more then Russell Wilson then thats a big problem. They need to coach better in that area or get better pass blocking Lineman.
- Winning on the road – Last year the Denver Broncos won one road game and that was against a Indianapolis Colts team that did not have their star QB in Andrew Luck and it was week 15 when the season was already lost for both teams. They did not have a good season at all last year but one win on the road is unacceptable.